Saturday, May 18, 2013

Ineffable (Yeah, Of Course This Is About Girls)


[Verse 1]
When the fuck did I become a love poet?
I'm usually in the mood to write for the slow it down,
light the candles, let the feelings come out
and now it's all I think about and it's not like I
really hate it. I got it in spades kid, the basic
placement of putting words in for the plays of
stand ins trying to convince the leading maiden
that in fact you are not playin' and this isn't maybe
but this is what you're really made of
I hail from broken streets down the beats of that
th-thump, th-thump sweet heart rap
That kind of I can twist it up to make it into a joke
so you don't feel bad kind of rap. You know about that?
I know all about that
From jester to joker to test her and no sirs
That break up really did a number on me if you look closer
I'm not a poser or a poster boy for
the romantic ploy with grand gestures like quotas
More of the I've got things to say like
snow is all over Minnesota
And It's always raining from my hometown
I guess that's the way I like it now
From skipping into puddles and
hoping I can use an umbrella so we
can cuddle under that rain is what I hope now
I'm not feeling broke now, I'm just more aware of it
And I still feel dope but it's with the shit I got pair it with
From dates that seem great that lead to dead ends
To good thoughts and intentions that instead blend
with all of my thoughts making me feel like that paranoid parrot
I'm not embarrassed.
But I do lie often.
The options of softness are wearing down
and I choose it so much that's it's like my defaulted
So many faults kid. I feel insulted
Too many waltzes that I rocked solo
So maybe tonight I better last call it.
Where did I leave my wallet? Oh no.

[Breakdown]
Dear god, I wish I could sing for you
but we both know that isn't gonna come true
Yes, I'm feeling blue, but what's a girl to do?
Keep doing what you do and we all fall for you
And now I wish I could carry a tune
But spend the night with me and I'll carry the moon
I'll walk through monsoons and other
of those cliche poetic weather patterns just for you

And I wish I could sing for you
I wish I could sing for you but
I really don't know how to do
I really, really, really, don't know how to

I wish I could just sing to you
make something pretty be sung for you
but I don't really know how to do that
so instead I just have to say it in this... kind of rap

[Outro]
Falling for someone.
is a culmination
of everything I could be afraid of. 
Falling already is unsettling, but when
you start to fall for someone, you start
to think you have superpowers. As if gravity
does not effect you and you’ve been granted
the gift of flight! But sooner or later, you’ll hit
the bottom. Unless you grab on tight. And I
seem to gravitiate towards people who 
have hands stretched out like tree branches,
sturdy, leafy, places I can spend
my summer days.

But the further I fall, the more I have
to confront my other fears. When you
point your finger at me, accusations flying
quicker than darts with tips pointed like
surgeon’s scalpels, all I can ever do
is just try to catch the statements through
my teeth and not let any of my own fly out.

And you’ll remind me that I can’t impress
you every second of the day and that more
often or not, I’ll just be an ordinary human, which
is scary. Because who ever wanted to be in 
love with a normal person? So I start
evaluating my life and my past and my future,
how I’ve been living and how I might die and
all of a sudden every specter from the corners
of the room start to surround my view every time
you ask me what’s wrong and I can’t formulate
words but only images and of course I’ll just say:

nothing.
Just stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment